Saturday, June 5, 2010

Moving Day

"And so our journey begins! Ishmael has time to kill, he's broke. So how 'bout a trip to sea?" Those on my side of the family may recall the immortal words from the Ten Classics in Ten Minutes version of Moby Dick. I feel like this home-buying thing is a journey that has just begun!

So last you heard, we had signed the paperwork and purchased a new home. YAY!!! It seemed that all the hard work was done, and now all we had to do was move. On Saturday. Ian had originally asked for the week of May 16-22 off to do the move, not expecting it to take so long to close on the new home. So we closed on Wednesday May 19, and had to finish packing everything up that week so that we could move everything on Saturday May 22.

We got the keys to the house Friday evening and Ian delivered a couple appliances to our new home. Then I went over Saturday morning to try to clean the kitchen before all our stuff arrived. Before I left, a lot of help had already arrived to help load the truck. After I arrived at the house, it still looked a lot like this (only without the furniture):


After I arrived, Samantha didn't allow me to do much cleaning. She wanted to be held and changed and held and fed, and held some more. The Moby Wrap helped some to let me clean while holding Samantha, but I finally gave up and walked across the street to the church building to see what info I could get about our new Ward. There were a number of cars in the parking lot for some activity and I was able to meet a couple people from our ward. Nice people. They even came over when the truck arrived to help unload. I got about 1/3 of the kitchen cleaned before the truck arrived and we unloaded everything.

Well, almost everything. They were not able to unload our couch because they hadn't been able to get it out of our basement apartment! But this is what our new living room looked like after we got all the boxes inside.


It looks much better now, but there is still some cleaning up to do.

There is actually a kitchen behind all those boxes.

The kitchen was the first room that we completely cleaned out for use. There is now only one box left in the kitchen. It has been interesting trying to find places for everything. All the spaces are different and I need to learn a new system for cooking.

One interesting thing in the unpacking. One of the first things that I unpacked/put away was the linen closet. I was so excited to have a real place (beside's Sarah's bedroom closet) to place all the towels and sheets that I did that first. One of the first things Ian unpacke/set up was this:



In case you can't see it behind the boxes in the foreground, it is our TV/entertainment center.

After that, we both got to work getting beds set up. Ian worked on our bed, and I worked on the crib. That first night, all the kids slept in the same room. Steven got the crib and Sarah got a matress on the floor. They all slept really well that first night.


Aren't they cute when they are sleeping?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay! I'm glad the brunt work is done. Now its all the tedious stuff. And now you can sort as you unpack! I hope things are getting to normal for you. I'm so excited that you have your very own house with room!

Tom and Sandy Fox said...

Thanks for blogging! We love hearing how things are going with you. I'm glad you're getting settled in. I hope all the house glitches get ironed out and you have joy in your house.

Daniel said...

Oh, I totally understand your linen closet excitement! And the perplexity in figuring out where to put everything left over. Good luck! M