We saw the house April 7 and put in the offer that day. We then arranged for the home inspection and everything else that we thought we needed to do.
We had the inspection done by a very thorough inspector and we were mostly pleased with the report. The only problem was evidence of leaking in the upstairs bathroom above the downstairs bathroom. The inspector had an infrared camera that could tell us that there was a leak in the ceiling, but there was no other evidence of water damage. So we were concerned that because we had no way of looking through the sheetrock in the ceiling that we couldn't tell how expensive it would be to fix the problem.
We asked the seller to fix it, but were unsure of whether or not they would do it. They had an agent who was good at making us believe that the sellers not be willing or able to to much. Fortunately the sellers seem to be a lot nicer than the agent has implied, and when we went back to check what it might cost to fix the leak and any damage that may have developed, we discovered that the seller really had fixed the problem. YAY! We were really happy because the seller had recently redone the bathroom and it looks really nice.
So after we decided to stay with the house (if the leak had caused a ton of damage, we were not planning to pursue the house) we arranged to have the appraisal done. Grr. I really don't like the current system where a clearinghouse picks the appraiser and randomly assigns them to the banks/lenders. Because of this system it took two weeks to get the appraisal back (even though the appraisal was done within 3 working days of being paid for).
And then when the appraisal did come back, it was for less than we had offered for. Grrr again. And because we are getting an FHA loan, we can't ask the bank for more than the appraisal. So we were really concerned about that. So we had to counter the original offer with the appraised value (and how do you counter your own offer, I would like to know?!?), and were unsure if the sellers would accept the new offer.
But the Sellers accepted. YAY! But it still took almost two more weeks for us to get to the Settlement and signing all the papers to make it official. We kept getting calls asking for more papers or signatures. It got to the point that when the phone rang, Ian would ask, "What do they want now?" But it is done now, the papers are all signed and the house is all ours.
Well, ours and the banks.
So now we get to pack up everything and move into our new home. I think I would be more excited about it, if I didn't have to pack everything and make sure it gets transported safely. Good thing I have Ian who is much better with it than I am.
5 comments:
Can you hear the Hallelujah Chorus playing loudly in the background?! We are so excited for you; what a happy ending to a very long story!
That does look like a super-cute house! And I am so glad the buying hassle is done with. What a pain, but how fantastic that they accepted the lower offer. I am so happy for you. Now if you can just survive the move!
Oh, and is the downstairs bedroom for your guests..... mmmm?
Sorry to hear that it has been such a bear! But I'm SO happy you got it! Although, you're used to so much less space that I think you should just close up half of the house so you don't get too spoiled! ;) Just joking!
It looks very cute and nice and clean! How wonderful! I'd love to see pictures of the bedrooms too!! Good luck with the moving process, that's NO fun!
Hooray!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! Not about the moving part, but that it finally all worked out and now you are the proud new owners of a home. Hooray for you! Rats, now you have to be respectable home-owning citizens. hee, hee! Mir
I knew I heard something in the background! And yes, the downstairs room is supposed to be for guests. I am trying not to think of it as a storage room.
I admit that I am not looking forward to all the packing and transporting and unpacking, but it will be fun to find places for all our belongings and make the house our home.
Post a Comment