Last Sunday, December 6, I was asked to sing a duet of "Love One Another" in Relief Society, and the night before I was supposed to be a part of a small chorus group that sang for the monthly Stake Single Adult dinner. At the dinner, we were going to sing some of the songs from the performance of "Savior of the World" and I was looking forward to that performance, and was feeling prepared for the Relief Society performance, when I started to loose my voice on Friday.
Saturday morning I tried to say a few words to Ian as he left for work and he laughed at me. I don't blame him. I couldn't make any noises in the lower register, and I had to keep sliding my voice up and down the vocal scale just to make noise come out. My voice got better throughout the day, but it was still very husky. I really wanted to sing the songs at the dinner that night, so I went to the rehearsal just before the dinner, and discovered that I was able to sing the songs!
I don't know how it worked, really. It's the same vocal chords, but for some reason, the voice comes out differently when you sing, and it worked. And the same thing happened on Sunday. I had the hoarse voice, but I was still able to sing the duet. It was a great Relief Society lesson. Our teacher did a musical presentation-thing where she talked about Christ and Christmas and we got to sing a lot of the Christmas songs in the Hymn book. I was just glad that the duet was one of the first things, because that way I could a) not have to spend the whole meeting worrying about how it would go, and b) enjoy singing the other songs without worrying about how my voice would sound. By the end of the meeting, my voice was worse, but it was worth it.
Since then, my voice progressed to the "I've been smoking 6 packs a day for 20 years" raspy, and then back up to the "sexy" husky voice, and now seems to be almost back to normal.
Signs of the Second Coming
14 years ago
2 comments:
I'm a sucky sister. I was so surprised when you told me you were singing in public, that I forgot to tell you how impressed I was! I don't think I could get up and sing for a crowd at all (other than in Choir). So I am quite proud of you for doing a duet, and especially for doing it with no voice! You rock!
I love your comment about the "smoking" voice versus the "sexy husky" voice. So true! Everytime I get sick (even with the simplest cold), I lose my voice. The only advantage is that Jonathan loves the "husky" voice.
I, too, am very impressed that you sang a duet in public. I think I would choke up with nerves. Hooray for you!
Post a Comment