Now that Sarah is in Primary, the annual Primary Program for Sacrament meeting is so much more fun. Today was our program, and I was able to watch it with very few distractions. Unfortunately for Ian, Steven was sick today, and Ian stayed home with him. Fortunately for me, that meant that I could watch the program without having to take care of any kids!
As a 4-year-old Sunbeam, Sarah sat with me until after the sacrament was passed, then went to sit with her class at the front of the chapel. I think the theme this year had to do with families, and how families help you learn and grow in the gospel. All the Sunbeams got up and were supposed to say "Heavenly Father and Jesus love me and my family." Sarah said her line very clearly and into the microphone. I was almost afraid she would preface her line with "Speak into the microphone." because that is what she told me yesterday after they practiced. The last Sunbeam totally ad lib-ed and said something about how his family loved him. It was super cute.
I really enjoyed watching Sarah during the program. The big thumbs-up to her teacher as they first climbed onto the podium, the waves and "Hi Mom"s as she stood there to sing the songs, how she only seemed to sign "one another" during the song "As I have Loved you" while everyone around her sang and signed the rest of the signs, the twirling around in place as she was supposed to be singing some of the songs, the pouty face as they had to sing "Families can Be Together Forever". Evidently Sarah does not like that song, and refuses to sing it. Fortunately that was the last song of the program, and when it was over she was able to come back and sit with me. She told me "I had to come sit with Mommy" and seemed a little sad. I found out later that she was the one that chose to come back, as opposed to being sent back by her teachers.
I think the highlight of the program was when a family got up to answer the question "How do I make my family happy?" They have 4 children, they are about 20 months, 4-, 6-, and 8-years old. Sarah's best friend said that she makes her family happy by being silly. When the dad who was holding the youngest tried to lean forward and speak into the microphone, his son leaned forward and started "speaking". When the dad tried to pull back, BJ grabbed onto the microphone and continued telling everyone how he makes the family happy. Or so I assume-- I didn't understand a word he said. Dad had to pry his son's fingers from the microphone and hand him off to his very pregnant wife in order to finish speaking. The ward seemed to understand/appreciated the display, because there was a collective chuckle as we watched the family. I also liked what the dad said, which was basically, "I make my family happy by making my wife happy. Because if Mom isn't happy, nobody's happy."
Signs of the Second Coming
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment