Saturday, December 20, 2008

Belated Turkey Day Update

I had intended to write a nice, timely blog to let you know all that happened on my trip to Oregon for Thanksgiving. But I didn't feel like it. I was really tired after I got back, and then I got the virus that was being passed around the house.

The Trip did go well. Sarah and Steven traveled better than I expected. We did seem to make each stop a long one-- involving gassing up the vehicle, feeding all of us, using the restroom and changing diapers. At one stop near Winnemucca, Sarah was able to run around this veteran's memorial park while I fed Steven. She really wanted to get on this helicopter that was there.
That is Sarah standing under the helicopter asking to get on. She wasn't happy when I made her get back into the car to continue on the journey.

Besides seeing a few deer, an emergency diaper change in the dark on the side of the road, and the red glow of a forest fire between Klamath Falls and Medford, the trip was uneventful, though long.

We spent a couple days with Uncle Adam and Aunt Savannah, and enjoyed them and their hospitality. And we enjoyed their Harry and David largesse for the next week! mmmm yummy.

Here is Sarah with Uncle Adam, after a bout of roughhousing. Sarah starting wheezing and coughing after that and was generally pathetic.

She did recover, and we headed north to Portland. While with my in-laws, I felt like I was participating in comedy of errors of sorts, or in other words, things didn't all go according to plan. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my stay there and had fun, but. . .
  • My Mother-in-law fell the day I got there and was out of commission with a broken bum.
  • Sarah had nasty diarrhea for two days before Thanksgiving.
  • Cousin Kierstin got stung by a couple wasps.
  • I tried to go to the beach but miscalculated and didn't get there until later than intended, and then couldn't find the beach in the dark.
  • Early Thanksgiving morning, I broke the downstairs toilet after it started to overflow and fill the bathroom with water. (That was sooo gross!)

However: I was able to spend time with my in-laws, whom I like; I was able to visit with Cousin Liz and her family; I had a great Thanksgiving dinner; I played fun games-- like Nerts and Farckle-- with Ian's family; I attended a Christmas program after Thanksgiving that used the great musical talent of their stake; and I was able to travel everywhere in safety.

By the end of the trip, Sarah was a pro at riding in the car.



And Steven looked really cute with his grandfather!


On the way home, we traveled through the Columbia River Gorge. It is a beautiful trip. This time I decided to take the scenic route for about 33 miles. I loved the views and all the waterfalls. Especially Multnomah Falls.

This is the view of the Columbia River from the Vista House



This is Sarah at the base of Multnomah Falls. This is also the place I got us a BIG cookie to snack on as we continued our trip.


A nice passer-by saved me from my awful attempts at a self-portrait and got this nice group shot. It was a little chilly out by the falls that day.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I totally admire your ability to go do stuff that you want to do. Good job! Cute pix too!