Saturday, July 3, 2010

Saturday is a Special Day

To get Sarah to help me clean up the house today, I decided to use a reward program using chocolate chips. I poured out a bowl of chips and then gave her a task to complete ("Pick up all the legos on the floor before the timer goes off in five minutes and I will give you some chocolate chips. For every lego I find on the floor I get to eat one of your chips.") This seemed to motivate her very well. I didn't find a single lego on the floor, and gave her 10 chocolate chips.

However, with the next task of picking up all the books, I did find one book left on the floor, so I ate one of the chocolate chips out of her reward. Sarah was not happy about me eating one of "her" chips. She told me, "I am not happy with you. Now I will have to call the police!"

1 comment:

Tom and Sandy Fox said...

Aren't you just amazed at the things children say? Better she learn now that choices bring consequences and rewards have limitations instead of when she's 16. Thanks for sharing.