I have learned that I can tell a lot about a house before walking inside by finding out what year it was built. I have learned that if a house is built in a certain neighborhood, I can reliably predict that the house will be one of three layouts. I have learned that if you want to purchase a house that is a short sale, you need to have more patience that we currently possess. I have learned that it can be fun to explore different homes, but that I go through the house more quickly and with less commentary if the owners/tenants are present.
There is more that I have learned, but I wanted to get to the numbers portion. I believe we started looking at houses in April, but didn't get serious about looking until a few months later. Our search was slowed a little by the fact that our agent/friend and I were both pregnant during this time. She delivered in November, and I delivered in early March. In looking at houses, most of the time I would go on an MLS site and look up all the houses that fit the criteria we were looking for and select the most promising-looking ones. Then I would tell our agent which ones we wanted to look at and away we would go. In mid-August I started keeping a spreadsheet listing all the houses I looked at online, which ones I wanted to see, and which ones we actually visited.
So here are the numbers:
Months taken up looking for a house: 13
Houses I looked up online as possibilities since August 19: Over 150
Houses we physically entered since August 19: At least 57
Births that took place during time frame: 2
Maximum number of children looking at houses with us: 8
Average number of children looking at houses with us: 2-4
Offers put in on houses: 7
Offers accepted: 1
So here is a picture of the front of the house that Ian and I will be closing on in the next couple of weeks. We are super excited to be home owners to finally finish this stage of house hunting.
5 comments:
YAY!!! So happy you finally found one!!
Yay and Hooray! It even looks cute! It looks really nice. I hope it is perfect for you.
It looks like a really cute house! Of course, who wouldn't want to live in a house of stone. (I read the 3 Pigs you know). M
We are so happy for you! That was a lot of work. Hope it meets your every expectation!
Congratulations! As I looked at the numbers, I didn't see the number of houses you looked at with 2 or 3 children to help you with your selection!
Dad
Post a Comment