Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What to Feed a Toddler after a Tonsilectomy?

Before Steven had his tonsils removed, I asked many people this question.  I was concerned and wanted to make sure the kitchen was stocked with things Steven could eat after he had his tonsils removed.  I was given much advice in the matter, and I avidly listened.  And so before Steven had his surgery, I stocked up on soft foods that would not irritate his tender throat.  I got jello and yogurt, mashed potatoes and frozen fruit for smoothies, sherbet and ice cream. 

And you know what?  It didn't to me one bit of good!  Steven hasn't touched any of it.  He drank one smoothie at the hospital, and ate one serving of mashed potatoes in the hospital, but he hasn't touched the stuff since we got home.  I've eaten more of Steven's ice cream, sherbet, yogurt and smoothies than Steven has.  I haven't even tried making the jello yet, because I am afraid of rejection.

Do you want to know what I have been able to get Steven to eat?  Chocolate!  Steven ate some food while we were at the hospital last Monday, but didn't eat a bite of food on Tuesday.  Wednesday I felt inspired to offer him a bite from a chocolate bar.  Hooray!  He ate it!  I didn't really care what he was eating, as long as he was eating some solid food.  I think the next thing he ate was Chocolate Malt-O-Meal (a chocolate flavored hot cereal like Cream O'Wheat, but a little coarser).  And that is most of what he ate last week-- the chocolate bar, chocolate Malt-o-Meal, and hot chocolate.  Who would have guessed!

So, Steven has progressed to eating other things; more varieties of hot cereal, PB&J, animal crackers, pancakes.  But he still won't eat smoothies, yogurt,  or ice cream.  I keep offering and he says no.  And he has been drinking  a lot of juice.  He has actually been holding on to his sippy cup like it was a comfort object.  Tonight is the first night he has gone to sleep without it.

He is doing better.  His vocabulary has grown from "mmm", "uh", "uh-huh", and pointing to include some actual words in a strangely altered voice.  Yesterday he danced to the theme song from Super Why.  And he has seemed happier in general.  Though I still seem to spend a lot of time holding him.  His throat still bothers him at times, and as he abhors taking the medicine and is comforted by me holding him, I choose to hold him.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Otter Pops? That would be first on my list. ANd Pedialyte makes some but they are quite pricey. I am glad he's feeling better. How sad that he wouldn't eat anything. However, quite wise to discover he'd eat chocolate!

Daniel said...

Yeah, Dan didn't eat anything for about 5 days. It was a great diet. He said the cold things hurt his throat and his ears too. Pretty much all he did enjoy were lydocaine lollipops. I'm really sorry! I do hope he gets to be feeling all the way better soon.

Does he still ask for Chex? :) M

Deborah said...

We didn't find any otter pops when we went to the store, and popsicles aren't very effective if all you do is hold them, touch your tongue to them occasionally, and cry when they melt onto your hand.

And Steven has been holding his ears a lot. I heard that the nerves that go past your tonsils go to your ears.