In General Conference this last weekend, one of the speakers talked about how her young family read the Book of Mormon everyday, starting with just 3 verses, and after 3 (or was it 5?) years they finally made it all the way through. I think I am too impatient to do that. I can't imagine that they got much content out of what they read, though it did instill in them a priority/love/habit of reading the Book of Mormon.
When I was called into the Young Women's program for church, the girls were in the middle of a challenge to read the Book of Mormon. They had until October 10 to finish, and the challenge was extended to me and the other new councilor. I took up the challenge, and am glad to say that I have one book, 10 chapters, and 13 pages left to read. But more importantly, I have been reminded of why the scriptures are so important.
Previously, when I have read the Book of Mormon, I have done it a chapter a day. This is a good way to go, but this time I had to read multiple chapters at a time to complete my reading by the deadline. It made it easier to see (and remember) connections and to follow the events that were occurring. It has also been fun/interesting trying to relate the events I was reading to events of today. As I was reading some of the chapters, I would think, "How would Mormon have summarized the world events of today?" Instead of kings begatting kings, would it be "And Clinton followed Bush and Bush followed Clinton as rulers of the land. And there was (peace/famine/war/pestilence) for the space of xx years. Would he describe us as wicked or righteous?
I also love the testimonies of the prophets and how powerful they are. Testimonies of Christ and the Plan of Salvation. It has helped to reaffirm my testimony. I am so glad that I was issued this challenge to read the Book of Mormon again. Yes, I have been counting books and chapters and pages, but I have also been enjoying the words that are written on those pages. And I want my girls to be able to share my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I know that not all of them will complete the challenge, so I am trying to think of some ways to encourage them to start again.
Signs of the Second Coming
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment