Monday, August 23, 2010

Sarah Hair Cut

Sarah's hair has been getting a little long, and I decided it needed to be trimmed a little.  This would be the first time I had cut her hair since she was a baby.  (Mom had trimmed her hair a couple times, but not me!)
Before the trim
Sarah has seen the animated show, "Dora the Explorer" a few times, and really likes Dora.  For a while, Sarah has asked for "Dora hair".   For those of you who don't watch children's television, Dora the Explorer looks like this:

Despite her requests, I was NOT going to cut Sarah's hair that short!  Though, when I looked at all the hair on the floor, I almost felt like I had cut it that extreme.

But it was only a couple inches.  Here is the final product.
After
It looks a lot better.  Not as straggley.  I like that the hair that comes down the side of her face is now the same length as everything else.

Sarah likes her new short hair.  She has been telling everyone about it, "Do you like my new short hair?"  She makes it sound like I chopped it all off.  :)

I thought I had done a pretty good job of cutting evenly, but when her hair dried, I noticed that her hair seemed to be two lengths.  I mean, I think her hair is pretty straight across the back, but the hair closer to her back seems to be just a tad bit longer than the "outside" hair.  Can anyone tell me how to avoid this result?

3 comments:

Smendrick said...

I always part off at least one layer of hair. I cut the bottom layer to the correct length, and then I cut the outer layer to the same or slightly longer than the first layer. It also helps to wet the top layer again before cutting. As you know, hair changes as it dries, so the different lengths could be due to different dryness while cutting.

I need to do some haircutting around here, too. Everybody needs a trim (well, except the bald baby. I'm having a hard time deciding which is worse: finding a chunk of time to cut 5 heads of hair or getting out the haircutting stuff 5 different times.

Tom and Sandy Fox said...

It looks like you did a lovely job. And hair does look fuller and neater when it's trimmed evenly. I think the cutting in two layers is probably the best idea. You might take her to a hairdresser the next time and watch how she does it.

Unknown said...

Wow her hair was long! I love her hair, probably because it reminds me of my hair, and I love my hair, lol.